Deaf Rights Symposium
August 18 - 20, 2017 Chicago Area
SPOTLIGHT on DEAF RIGHTS ISSUES:
SPOTLIGHT on DEAF RIGHTS ISSUES:
The Americans with Disabilities Act and other similar civil rights laws are purposefully broad to include protections for a diverse population of people with disabilities. How do these laws apply to d/Deaf specific issues? How can d/Deaf people utilize these laws to their fullest capacity to protect their right to equal opportunity? What should service providers know when it comes to serving d/Deaf individuals?
Scope of Conference
This conference provides education and professional development to providers and consumers working with and navigating the rights of d/Deaf persons toward effective communication and equitable participation in society. The conference will focus on issues of access and equitable treatment in the areas of:
- Arts and Culture;
- Government Services;
- High Education;
- Judicial and Law Enforcement;
- Professional Services (Legal, Financial, etc)
Registration will open after March 1, 2017. Watch for Announcements!
Regional Priority for Registration
Registration for the conference will be limited to 300 attendees with priority given to residents of the Great Lakes ADA Center's regional area (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio and Wisconsin) through May 31, 2017. Residents of states outside of the region will be put on a waiting list and informed of registration eligibility after June 1, 2017.
Conference Room Rate: $149.00 plus tax/night
Transportation - Conference site is located near O'Hare International Airport
Chicago Airport Transportation - To / From O'Hare International Airport
- Complimentary Shuttle Service - Hyatt Regency O'Hare offers 24 hour, complimentary shuttle service, which runs every 15 minutes from the hotel near O'Hare airport. Follow the red shuttle signs at the airport to the designated pick-up area, O'Hare bus / Shuttle Center Door One. Shuttle buses have signage that reads Hyatt Regency O'Hare. For airport transportation from the international terminal, guests must call the hotel directly.
- Taxi - Approximate cost of a trip from O'Hare to Hyatt Regency is $10 - $12
To / From Midway
- Airport Express - Shuttles operate 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Go Aiport Express is a door-to-door transportation service. They offer shared ride airport shuttles, private van charters, Chicago limousine and car services and group transportation charters. Telephone: 888-284-3826.
- Taxi - Service is available on a first come, first served basis outside of the baggage claim area. All taxis are metered, except for flat fare into downtown Chicago. Approximate cost of a trip from Midway Airport to Hyatt Regency O'Hare is $65.00.
The Hyatt Regency O'Hare is also conveniently located close to the L-Train. With the Rosemont station less than a mile away, guests can be in downtown Chicago in just 45 minutes. Stop by the Concierge desk for train maps and schedules. Our Complimentary Shuttle drops off at the Rosemont L station by request.
The free Pace Buses are also available and provide circulator service around Rosemont to restaurants, the MB Financial Entertainment District including the Fashion Outlets of Chicago.
Hyatt Regency O'Hare offers several parking options for our guests:
- Daily: $37/Valet
- Overnight (in/out privleges): $40/Valet
- 0-10 hours - $27
- 10-24 - $34
- Overnight (in/out privleges) - $30
About the Great Lakes ADA Center
The Great Lakes ADA Center is a member of the ADA National Network. The ADA National Network which is comprised of 10 regional centers funded by the National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, Rehabilitation and Research (NIDILRR), a division of the Administration for Community Living (ACL), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The Center provides information, materials, technical assistance and training on the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). Topics addressed includes the non-discrimination requirements in employment, the obligations of state and local governments and business to ensure that programs, services and activities are readily accessible to and useable by people with disabilities.
Contact us at:
- (877)232-1990 (V/TTY)
- (312) 767-0377 (VP)